The Child Care Subsidy program is an integral component of early childcare initiatives in Transylvania County that allows parents to enter the workforce, gain skills, work through times of crisis, and address special needs in individual children.
40% of Smart Start of Transylvania County’s state funding is allocated to support Child Care Subsidy in our community.
The Child Care Subsidy program uses state and federal funds to provide subsidized child care services to eligible families in the form of child care vouchers.
What type of care is supported by Child Care Subsidy?
- Subsidy vouchers are only available for licensed child care facilities with a minimum of a 3-star rating.
- 3 Levels of care are offered:
- 50% (0-17 hours per week)
- 75% (18-31 hours per week)
- 100% (More than 31 hours per week)
Does my child qualify to receive Child Care Subsidy?
You may be eligible to receive child care assistance if:
- You are working or are attempting to find work.
- You are in school or in a job training program.
- Your child is receiving child protective services.
- Your child needs care to support child welfare services or if your family is experiencing a crisis.
- Your child has developmental needs.
There are income requirements that help determine eligibility as well.
To see if your child qualifies for Child Care Subsidy, please contact Milenni Castro at