SMART START OF TRANSYLVANIA COUNTY
FAMILY CHILDCARE HOME COACH
CONTRACTOR, 30 HOURS PER WEEK
Smart Start of Transylvania County is part of the North Carolina Partnership for Children, a nationally
recognized, award-winning early childhood initiative designed to ensure that young children thrive.
In collaboration with GetSet Transylvania and its community partners, Smart Start of Transylvania County is working to:
- Be a champion for young children through collaboration, public education, and influencing public policy
- Ensure young children have equitable access to developmentally appropriate, high quality learning
- Assist and encourage early childhood educators in their pursuit of excellence and promote an environment that elevates the profession
- Pursue opportunities to advance the health and well-being of young children and their families
- Smart Start of Transylvania County has an overarching goal that every child in our community is equipped to not only succeed in life, but to thrive. We serve the unserved and underserved children in our community. This includes, but is not limited to children who have never been in a formal pre-school setting, or the most rural parts of our county. We need to build childcare capacity with a focus on serving children less than four years old. Our goal is to establish 6-8 licensed family childcare homes.
- Family childcare homes have long been a staple of childcare for children under three years old, as they provide a smaller, more home-like atmosphere. Small licensed programs with an emphasis on infant and toddler slots are a promising and strategic method to increase licensed slots in areas of the county where a larger center is unlikely to open, thus increasing access to licensed childcare programs for families in geographically diverse locations.
- The Family Childcare Home Coach will manage the development of family childcare homes in Transylvania County. This includes sourcing possible providers, connecting them to professionals in the respective areas involved in licensing, and sourcing business sustainability resources.
- Source possible providers via connections with the Transylvania County/WNC regional early childhood community.
- Define outreach plan to source new providers, write copy, and work collaboratively with Smart Start of Transylvania County’s Communication and Outreach Coordinator.
- Understand the NC licensing process – be able to articulate it and provide support for the licensing process. This includes, but is not limited to, zoning information, connection to training and licensing consultants, building inspectors, health requirements, background checks, and required trainings.
- Serve as a coach for possible providers and provide a connection to the licensing steps.
- Understand the elements of the childcare revenue model, including supports from Smart Start of Transylvania County and NC DCDEE. Provide support to new providers regarding business plan development.
- Serve as a liaison to locating children to attend family childcare homes by collaborating with Smart Start of Transylvania County’s Program Support Specialist and other GetSet Transylvania partners.
QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrated understanding of NC early childhood licensing requirements
- Previous experience in early childhood
- Strong skills in project planning/management
- Business management / sustainability understanding preferred
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally with a range of community partners. The position requires an understanding of and experience in communication and public relations strategies and writing experience.
- The successful candidate will possess leadership skills and a willingness to take initiative and be proactive. Must possess the ability to work independently, as well as in teams.
Executive Director of Smart Start of Transylvania County
Salary commensurate with experience (DOE).
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume with “Family Childcare Home Coach” in subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 22, 2021. No phone calls please.